If you are confused who you need to see and what test you need to get done to get to the root cause of your symptoms, read about what we do at The A Life – a functional approach to your health!
What is functional testing?
Naturopaths and Integrative doctor’s use specialised tests that measure how the body’s biological and biochemical processes are working as a whole. These tests can measure pathways, enzymes, nutrients, genes, hormones, amino acids, neurotransmitters, gut bacteria and Parasites. Rather than isolating a single marker, functional testing is much more specialised in that it looks at how a whole organ or process in the body is functioning and how that may be influencing other systems and the bodies entire health. It helps holistic practitioners life myself to connect the dots and identify the underlying CAUSES of a health condition as well as provide tools for the prevention of disease.
Why do functional testing?
Functional testing is one of the best ways to confirm what’s going on, rather than guessing and treating based on symptoms alone. Functional testing can help put all the pieces together and drive treatment towards the real cause. It gives clinicians and their patients the answer that is often overlooked or missing. Many clients report a huge feeling of relief once they have the solid evidence, the answers, after many years of searching and being passed around to medical professionals.
What are some of the specialised tests our naturopath sends for?
- Food allergy tests of over 96+ foods
- Sex hormones (e.g. estrogen, progesterone, testosterone) and their pathways- we can identify not only if a hormone is high or low but why and what pathway is malfunctioning and affecting metabolism of them. This can be tracked across the cycle.
- Adrenal hormones, their daily rhythm and metabolism
- Thyroid hormones (TSH, T4, T3, rT3) and thyroid antibodies
- Stool analysis to investigate gut bacteria, fungi, parasites and digestive ability
- SIBO breath test to identify small intestinal bacterial overgrowth
- Genetic tests such as methylation genes, celiac gene, non-celiac gluten sensitivity, mould susceptibility
- Neurotransmitters- serotonin, GABA, dopamine, noradrenaline, adrenaline, glutamate, histamine
- Liver detoxification pathways
- Heavy metal levels
How does it work?
Your practitioner will discuss with you which tests are most useful to investigate your particular case. You are then sent a test kit directly from the lab to your home whereby the instructions and all the materials to do the test and send it back to the lab are included. The test may be urine collection, spot pin prick blood test, saliva swab or you may have to go to a collection centre. The results are emailed to your practitioner and discussed with you at your next appointment.
How much do the tests cost?
They vary greatly depending on the test. Usually clients spend about $100-$300 depending on their situation. Unfortunately they are not covered by Medicare as they are specialised functional tests. If you consider the amount of money you could spend going to different specialists (for just the appointment) and trying various treatments- identifying the cause will save you a lot of money and time (and your health) long term.
PS. We offer complimentary 15 minute phone consults to get you started on your journey, just click here to book in.