If you currently sit in a chair for long periods, there is a good chance you will start to experience back pain, tension or tightness.
When it comes to reversing “chair-itis” we need to start with you hips.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED TO WORK ON MY HIPS?
- If you sit all day! Prolonged sitting is going to put a permanent clamp on the muscles that are on the front of the hips that contribute to lower back discomfort, unless you stretch them out.
TIP: For every hour of sitting you want to stretch your anterior(perhaps use hip flexors here as you’ve already explained the term above) hip for 1 minute.
- If you suffer from lower back Pain. The biggest contributing factor to lower back pain is the amount of time we spend sitting in chairs.
- If you have foot problems or pain! Everything is connected… Your hip rotation determines your foot position – maybe the “flat feet” is really a hip function problem in disguise?
- If you have poor balance. Can you balance on one leg with you eyes closed for 30- 60 seconds? A good challenge to detect hip stability.
IS SITTING IN A CHAIR ALL DAY REALLY THAT BAD?
- The negative effects of sitting in a chair doesn’t get the attention in the medical world it deserves. When you get lower back pain does your practitioner ask you how long you have been sitting? What you do for most of your day will impact your body either positively or negatively.
- Sitting in a chair shortens the muscles at the front of your hips, eventually those muscles will not be able to lengthen beyond what it needs to with a chair. Think of the old man who can’t stand up straight from a chair.
- Your glutes become useless glorified pillows. If they aren’t needed the glutes simply deactivate and go to sleep…
- Your hamstrings become short and tight. Are you always complaining your hamstrings are tight? Well if for most of your day they have no need to lengthen, they will stay tight and stiff.
PS. The more “ergonomic” or cushioned the chair (can be dangerous as it will enable you to sit for longer periods without changing your posture) you have is can be to your detriment because it means you can get away with sitting even LONGER in the chair! This is why we promote sitting on the floor, because the hard surface makes you move often so you are never in one position for too long. Our clever bodies knows exactly what we need if we give it the right environment.
Imagine if sitting on the floor or in a deep squat was actually a comfortable position that you could accomplish tasks in?
Our goal is to help you stay one step AHEAD of any restrictions and stiffness. We want you to understand what is going on in your body and equip you with the solutions to feel stronger & more free.
Learning sustainable solutions to prevent back pain and feel more free in your body are within your grasp but the work needs to be consistent. As humans we tend to complicate things but the solution is really simple .
START WITH THESE TIPS!
- Spend less time in chairs. Invest in a standing desk
- Engineer your environment to move throughout the day (regular quick breaks, set a timer to move)
- Get on the floor & find new sitting positions (explore new ways, inspo above!)
- Spend dedicated time on your hip strength, mobility & balance.
Ready to try a FREE 30 minute Hip Strength & Mobility Class with me?