Magnesium – It the most powerful relaxation nutrient available as it is a both a muscle and Central Nervous Symptom relaxant. Many people are magnesium deficient without realising this one nutrient can have significant effect on the way you feel.
If you have one or more of the following symptoms it is highly likely you are Magnesium deficient, and you may benefit from supplementing.
– Muscle spasms or cramps
– Tight upper traps/neck
– Teeth clenching
– Eye twitches
– Menstrual pain
– Anxiety, irritability or depression
– Dark chocolate cravings
– Suffer from conditions like Fibromyalgia, Chronic fatigue or hypertension
Yes, but it’s complicated..
Magnesium is found in a variety of foods such as;
– Sea vegetables/seaweed
– Greens (spinach, chards)
– Dark chocolate
– Buckwheat, rye & millet
However, it is often poorly absorbed into the body.
Soil from conventional farms today are often depleted in Magnesium and processing methods often strip foods of magnesium. There are also many factors that decrease the absorption of magnesium from foods, such as;
– Excess alcohol, salt and coffee consumption
– Profuse sweating
– Chronic stress
– ‘Leaky gut’
– Limit coffee, salt, sugar and alcohol consumption
– Decrease your stress levels (Have regular epsom salt baths to relax and unwind)
– Sort out any gut issues you may have with a naturopath
– Check with your doctor if any of your medications may be causing Magnesium loss
– Eat magnesium rich vegetables organic from a local farmer if possible
– Take a magnesium supplement or apply magnesium oil daily
The recommended daily intake of Magnesium is 300mg/day most people would be lucky to get 200mg/day.
Most people benefit from 300-1000mg day.
Forms of magnesium that are well absorbed in the body are Magnesium Citrate, Glycinate, Taurate, or Aspartate. Avoid magnesium carbonate, sulfate, gluconate, and oxide as they are poorly absorbed into the body.
If you experience diarrhoea with taking a magnesium supplement you may be taking too much or taking a poor form of magnesium. Consult your doctor before starting any new supplements.
It is such a powerful mineral that can have a profound calming effect on the body.
We are providing this information to you based on our own research and experience. If you have any questions about magnesium and your symptoms please ask our team or consult your doctor.
Receive our free signature hand blended magnesium soak when you book your first Nutrition or Osteopathic appointment at The A Life – Book Online.
Food is medicine!
699 Nicholson street, Carlton North 3054
(03) 9041 3332
For further enquiries please get in touch with us via email or just fill out the form below.